Animation Obscura

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
Ol'TwoSpoons
Re: Animation Obscura

Post by Ol'TwoSpoons » Mon May 06, 2019 11:57 am

SpaceLions wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Oh man I love Interface, the way the guy animates is absurdly unique. I almost want to say he's a pioneer.
That song's gonna be stuck in my head but might not wear out it's welcome. Finding some really good stuff on the NFB's channel, pretty impressive for a bunch of Canadians. I laughed my pants at this one, reminds me of the stuff I'd imagine playing with toys as a little kid

I liked your vaporwave post and found it informative, but I got no better word for the feeling of weird future dysphoria Interface captures than A E S T H E T I C. (I'm one of the idiots and cannot be saved, but at least I know about some better bands now) At least that's the closest I've come to naming what it reminds me of.
If he's not a pioneer he's definitely a kind of DIY auteur, which is very rare and extremely impressive when it comes to animation. Following the one's I've managed to find is one of my favorite things.

Like Hertzfeldt. Remember Don Hertzfeldt?

His new stuff is hard to find for free, but IMO it's also worth paying for.

I saw a Q&A after this one, somebody asked him if what the two things at the end speaking gibberish were saying, if anything. He said he imagined a conversation in his mind but wouldn't elaborate. It's pretentious but I find something honorable to the creative process about that, it retains an element of the truly personal. It's nice. And also I'm sure the conversation I imagined was way cooler.
Ol'TwoSpoons

Post by Ol'TwoSpoons » Mon May 06, 2019 12:24 pm

yoku wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:22 pm
Not obscure as well but posting in case people haven't seen Fire and Ice
Bakshi is the best. My favorite of his is Fritz the Cat. I like the way the movie knows what a shitbag Fritz is. I also like that R. Crumb hated it.

Another good movie between Normal and Obscure is the expanded Thief and Cobbler

The studio took control from Richard Williams and made it lame, (The animations nuts no matter what.) But there's a number of "re-cobbled" versions out there that include a lot of cut/unfinished stuff, and remove the dumbass superfluous voices added to both the thief and the cobbler, who were originally intended to be mute. Nobody in the boardroom knew about tom and jerry I guess.
It's weird and unfinished and particularly strange if you saw the studio release when you were a kid like I did.
Ol'TwoSpoons

Post by Ol'TwoSpoons » Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Also Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted :!: :!: :!: Jesus fuck it's all coming back to me