Liver and Onions' search for Nazi Gold (Looking for Dagger Boys help)

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
レバニラ
Liver and Onions' search for Nazi Gold (Looking for Dagger Boys help)

Post by レバニラ » Tue May 14, 2019 1:12 am

So for those who don't know the backstory:

Recently my wife's grandfather passed, and left his house to us.

Him and his best friend Lotar built the house together in the 1980's. They were both old world German craftsmen. Lotar was a builder and Opa was a furniture maker.

Together they put together one of the nicest houses you can imagine. Everything was built twice to code. The foundation was twice as deep as it needs to be, the walls were twice as thick, the house has a built in sound system, there's alarms built into the bed room walls, secondary doorbells in the basement, a humidity controlled root cellar, a house wired pneumatic tool system. I'll digress but it's basically tits, despite being a relatively small 3 bedroom 2 bathroom ranch.

To give you an idea, all of the furniture in the house (OK like 80% of it) was hand made in the house's basement. The stairs to the main floor are built especially to carry furniture up from when he's finished building it. Everything is done in German Bauhaus design.

He also loves putting hidden cabinets in things. There's false bottoms on some, hidden doors on others, secret locks on others. The guy loved squirreling things away.

So a few weeks have passed since his passing, and we're cleaning the house out. There's not as much as I was hoping (Because frankly the guy was amazing and I'd love to learn about him posthumously as much as I can)

Today I was throwing out a cooler, when behind it I find this red metal box. I cracked it open and there was a bunch of legal papers in it. The deed to the house, the mortgage, the land title, etc., and some high cost jewelery appraisals
Pretty cool.
Then beneath all of that was a safe key.

So I asked the guy's daughter if she ran into it when they were cleaning, to which she said, "I don't think he had a safe".

But it's a clearly labeled safe key.

So now I have a safe key, some legal papers, and an old mans house that has a safe hidden somewhere in it.

My question is to you guys, where do you think a 92 year old German man would hide some sort of fire safe, possibly full of jewelry, possibly just full of health insurance papers?

My goal is to start looking for false panels, maybe check the blueprints for any unused space. Just trying to think where it would go. If the key was hidden that well (In the basement in a box behind some coolers), I wonder where the actual goods are.

Let's work together to figure this out boys.
Call me Liver.
SpaceLions

Re: Liver and Onions' search for Nazi Gold (Looking for Dagger Boys help)

Post by SpaceLions » Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 am

My grandfather was the same way. He said his whole life to check all of his belongings and throw nothing away when he died. Sure enough we found 9k in cash hidden in random places among his belongings. If this guy was anything like him, it's most likely money or something that held value, like old coins or gold or something.
See if you can get into the walls of the house, stuff might be back there.
レバニラ

Post by レバニラ » Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 am

SpaceLions wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 am
My grandfather was the same way. He said his whole life to check all of his belongings and throw nothing away when he died. Sure enough we found 9k in cash hidden in random places among his belongings. If this guy was anything like him, it's most likely money or something that held value, like old coins or gold or something.
See if you can get into the walls of the house, stuff might be back there.
Yeah especially with the fact that he built the house. I doubt anything is behind a plaster wall, but I'm betting there's some molding or something that's move able. I checked the attic to no avail, and felt around his personal closet as well briefly. There's still a lot of personal belongings that need to be removed first, before I can try to really get in deep.
Call me Liver.
yoku

Post by yoku » Tue May 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Walls too thick I can somewhat understand but a foundation twice as thick is very unusual, you also mentioned that there is a line coming from the compressor that you have not found a destination for. That might be a good starting point. Follow the line and you might find a whole secret area.
レバニラ

Post by レバニラ » Tue May 14, 2019 4:39 pm

yoku wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:23 pm
Walls too thick I can somewhat understand but a foundation twice as thick is very unusual, you also mentioned that there is a line coming from the compressor that you have not found a destination for. That might be a good starting point. Follow the line and you might find a whole secret area.
I might have used the wrong word. I mean the part of the foundation to keep water out, the like gravel drainage thing I think.
Call me Liver.
レバニラ

Post by レバニラ » Tue May 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Minor update.

In the same part of the house I found a bunch of buckets used for storage. One was full of 20 year old "Extra gluten" flour.
I hefted the thing into the garage to be taken away.
I realized, that might have been a clever hiding place. I hope to go back soon, lift the bag out, and see if it's possibly hidden under that in the same bucket.
For more context there were about 8 such storage buckets in the basement, but that was the only one with anything in it.
Call me Liver.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Tue May 14, 2019 6:16 pm

This is the coolest thread... secret bucket hiding places, hidden safes, mysterious compressor lines ... irl hardy boys in here