MUSIC THREAD

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
UniversalWorldBaby
Re: MUSIC THREAD

Post by UniversalWorldBaby » Tue May 28, 2019 12:56 am

Sleepy wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:41 am

This is one of those simple, powerful, traditional type songs that I think most people here will relate to.
I recently have been listening to Courtney Barnett's excellent Album, "Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit," and I would highly recommend buying it off of Bandcamp.

This one is likely my favorite and lyrically the most memorable:

The end line of the primary verse, "I'm a Scorpio" really drives home the absurdity of the multitude of problems that all generations from young to old face in a post-post-industrial society are maligned with. everything about the song is perfect, from the strained sonic character of the guitars, to the abrupt end and short stature of the song itself, the song's only single verse mirrors the pervasive feeling that one verse is all we get in life. So often, we spend that time complaining and screaming into the void instead of filling it with more meaningful pursuits...

Her new single is also a fitting description of the state too many of us may find ourselves in Amerika:

It's rare to find musicians with the passion for legitimate songwriting in the modern age of Taylor Swift puking out songs like "Me!" and the latest of Lil' Rapper spinning his mumble tracks as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Her music is one I find Simultaneously deep, thought provoking, and easily approachable...
abu_hajaar

Post by abu_hajaar » Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 am

Good shit in this thread

broken glass
in my ass
gentlesire

Post by gentlesire » Tue May 28, 2019 6:39 am

abu_hajaar wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 am
Good shit in this thread

shamana is great

I was jerking myself off
The sun rose anew
And cum splashed onto my knee
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy » Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 am

UniversalWorldBaby wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:56 am
Sleepy wrote:

This is one of those simple, powerful, traditional type songs that I think most people here will relate to.
I recently have been listening to Courtney Barnett's excellent Album, "Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit," and I would highly recommend buying it off of Bandcamp.

The end line of the primary verse, "I'm a Scorpio" really drives home the absurdity of the multitude of problems that all generations from young to old face in a post-post-industrial society are maligned with. everything about the song is perfect, from the strained sonic character of the guitars, to the abrupt end and short stature of the song itself, the song's only single verse mirrors the pervasive feeling that one verse is all we get in life. So often, we spend that time complaining and screaming into the void instead of filling it with more meaningful pursuits...

Her new single is also a fitting description of the state too many of us may find ourselves in Amerika:

It's rare to find musicians with the passion for legitimate songwriting in the modern age of Taylor Swift puking out songs like "Me!" and the latest of Lil' Rapper spinning his mumble tracks as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Her music is one I find Simultaneously deep, thought provoking, and easily approachable...

I'm actually ahead of the curve for once, I've had that album for a while; I liked Courtney Barnett the fist time I heard her. Your right about songwriting man, I majored in music in college, and I saw most of the other student songwriters glad to stay in the shallow end of the pool (particularly lyrically). I can say from experience though, lyrical depth that doesn't come out as narcissistic or corny ain't easy to write- and its necessary to have something worth saying...
tito

Post by tito » Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 am

Sleepy wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 am
Sleepy wrote:

I'm actually ahead of the curve for once, I've had that album for a while; I liked Courtney Barnett the fist time I heard her. Your right about songwriting man, I majored in music in college, and I saw most of the other student songwriters glad to stay in the shallow end of the pool (particularly lyrically). I can say from experience though, lyrical depth that doesn't come out as narcissistic or corny ain't easy to write- and its necessary to have something worth saying...
What did ur songwriter peers listen to
gentlesire

Post by gentlesire » Wed May 29, 2019 5:47 am

its that time of night fellas
I was jerking myself off
The sun rose anew
And cum splashed onto my knee
Tolenza

Post by Tolenza » Wed May 29, 2019 5:55 am

Sleepy

Post by Sleepy » Wed May 29, 2019 8:29 am

tito wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 am
Sleepy wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 am

What did ur songwriter peers listen to
I would ask them and every answer was vague and wishy washy, they never said anything without some hint of hesitation. Honestly, I think music in college drew all the kids who didn't know what to major in, but knew they still had to go to college. I saw many other students take a semester of music classes, tell me they were a music major, then next semester change majors. There was one girl I remember who was serious, and she loved Joni Mitchell...
hayden

Post by hayden » Wed May 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Funny enough, it was Tyler, the Creator who shouted out Jerry Paper on Twitter one time and got me into his stuff.

Frank Ocean sampled this song for one track off Blonde, but it's a great song on its own, IMO.

oh, man.
Kobold

Post by Kobold » Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 am

celebrating one week of sobriety with my favorite drinking song.
The world is a dumpster
Standby for the trash fire
https://coolposs.neocities.org/