Viking Laws

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
zombee
Viking Laws

Post by zombee » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 pm

It's 2019, oversocialized, faux-marxist cowards have destroyed the once universal definitions of words so that all secular discussions of morality have become essentially impossible. What is a man to do? A lot of people have retreated into traditional catholic practice as a source of morality and meaning making. This is fine, all the power to you if you are doing this. But that doesn't work for me; too vast, too much subjugation of your own identity. "How do I navigate in the world?" I asked myself at night, alone, crying on the floor of my bedroom closet. Then I found the answer. Viking laws! https://rdcr.org/viking-laws/

These laws are great. They're simple, but applicable to pretty much every situation you could encounter. Let's all incorporate viking laws into our lives and then discuss the results. Then let's buy a boat.

viking laws

1. Be Brave and Aggressive
Be direct • Grab all opportunities • Use varying methods of attack • Be versatile and agile • Attack one target at a time • Don’t plan everything in detail • Use top quality weapons

2. Be Prepared
Keep weapons in good condition • Keep in shape • Find good battle comrades • Agree on important points • Choose one chief

3. Be a Good Merchant
Find out what the market needs • Don’t make promises that you can’t keep • Don’t demand overpayment • Arrange things so that you can return

4. Keep the Camp In Order
Keep things tidy and organized • Arrange enjoyable activities which strengthen the group • Make sure everyone does useful work • Consult all members of the group for advice

I'm basically Leif Erikson now. Outta my way.
MuhPigeon

Re: Viking Laws

Post by MuhPigeon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks for posting. Taking a bit of time to think about these Viking laws, they all seem pretty applicable. I think a lot of appeal with the Scandinavian/Viking culture and tradition comes from it's aesthetics. Axe and sword wielding 'giants' from the frozen north, with a strong war-like masculine culture, who have strange blond and red-haired women, returning to challenge the more civilized southern European empires is a whole chapter taken right out of the wars between the Celtic Gauls and the Romans a over a thousand years before, and of even earlier Middle-Eastern and Asian empires fighting with Eurasian steppe peoples of a similar sort. What is fascinating is that you can see how Scandinavian folklore and mythology post-Christianization is built on the symbolism and principles of Christianity in many ways, while retaining it's past aesthetics and warrior spirit. Beowulf, for example, likely written by a Christian monk, is at it's core a Christian story that revels in the old ways and spirit of Viking culture and laws. This post has taken a bit of a philosophical/spiritual tangent, but I find it profoundly comforting that the best elements of the old ways, despite being associated with paganism, were preserved and reborn within Christian storytelling in a way that not only preserves them, but celebrates them. Perhaps we can move towards this direction once again. I believe that highlighting these laws and qualities in our storytelling may do just that. What do you think?
Pinetree

Re: Viking Laws

Post by Pinetree » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:57 am

The havamal and the Poetic Eddas are interesting. I also like reading Buddhist Koans from time to time.