Best Book You Read Latey

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
don
Site Admin
Re: Best Book You Read Latey

Post by don » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:42 pm

SpaceLions wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 pm
don wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 pm
SpaceLions wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:32 pm
I finished Hypersphere finally and it's fucking hilarious. Shitpost literature is the future.
what's Hypersphere?
Hypersphere is like the fourth or fifth collaborative novel by /lit/ which is THE BEST BOARD FUCK ALL Y'ALL.
It's so dense, every page has so many things going on. If you look up like, Hypersphere .pdf or something you'll find it pretty easily. Barring that you can always just ask them for a copy. If you do that ask them for the other novels they've written too, Legacy Of Totalitarianism In A Tundra is my favorite out of all of them.
dope I like /lit a lot and this idea is right the hell up my alley
Penseroso

Post by Penseroso » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 pm

Finished The Wizard Knight by Gene Wolfe, hell of a dense story. Rest in Peace to him.
containercore

Post by containercore » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:51 am

Everything I've read so far this year has been real good:
-The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
-Boethius - The Consolation of Philosophy
-Chaung Ze - Basic Writings
-Takuan Soho - The Unfettered Mind

Currently reading the Satires of Horace and a collection of stories by Ambrose Bierce. So shaping up to be a good year reading-wise :)
dandykaufman

Post by dandykaufman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:09 am

Not exactly a book, but I want to plug Heidegger's essay "The Question Concerning Technology," and the poem he cites by Friedrich Holderin, "Patmos." If you're looking for something kinda mystical, that connects natural beauty to theological belief in a way that extends beyond religion into humanism, then this pair would serve you well. Patmos is an incredible poem that connects the sublime beauty of nature to a belief in god and cultural pride, and Heidegger's Question Concerning Technology is an exploration of the dangers of technological innovation that operates in conversation with this poem to draw interesting distinctions between technology/nature, rationality/belief, and complacency/hope.
ldar

Post by ldar » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:16 am

Surprised at how much overlap there is from people from /lit/, I'm kind of from there too. I didn't read before I came across it it and I've started working through all the books they shill, which has been fun and insightful. To anyone who's read Hypersphere, is there any actual content in it worth the dreck it's immersed in? Their one "existentialist novel" L'anomie is basically a totally incoherent string of marginally-extended shitposts.

I read Lolita a little while back, it was a really good and funny book but it was also really bitter-hearted, sardonic and upsetting. Nabokov was a genius but whether or not he's a force for good I can't tell. Part 1 was creepy, Part 2 was a gut punch. He also slams that kind of commercial, glamorous post-WW2 suburban American culture/ideal really hard, which was surprising to me since he would have been writing the book while it was all happening. I didn't realize how self-aware and current-minded everyone was back then, even while they were enacting that stuff, pathologies and all. They knew what they were doing and it was really insidious.

I also started reading Gravity's Rainbow which has that same aspect to it except it's still during the war when everyone's all zogged out and comatose with dread. I just got past the scat scene. It's fun so far but also really dense and heady.
prtbc

Post by prtbc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 am

revisiting paul muldoon's 1,000 Things Worth Knowing b4 I go hit a .pdf lick awn Moy Sand & Gravel and Madoc: a Mystery. his insight is neverending & the absolute seminal craftsmanship inherent 2 the way he structures words is bananas. v. valuable read wherever u start w/ him, probably a GOAT poet contender w/ Frost or Donne.
ldar

Post by ldar » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:47 am

hey guis does audiobook count as reading..?
KHOKABOG

Post by KHOKABOG » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:57 am

SpaceLions wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 pm
don wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 pm
SpaceLions wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:32 pm
I finished Hypersphere finally and it's fucking hilarious. Shitpost literature is the future.
what's Hypersphere?
Hypersphere is like the fourth or fifth collaborative novel by /lit/ which is THE BEST BOARD FUCK ALL Y'ALL.
It's so dense, every page has so many things going on. If you look up like, Hypersphere .pdf or something you'll find it pretty easily. Barring that you can always just ask them for a copy. If you do that ask them for the other novels they've written too, Legacy Of Totalitarianism In A Tundra is my favorite out of all of them.
I did not think that /lit/ actually finished a single collaborative novel. You have my interest now.
Dagger Latvia ♂Dungeon♂Master♂
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 am

ldar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:47 am
hey guis does audiobook count as reading..?
yeah why not? I actually think the best way to talk about any kind of media (because there's so many varieties now and people feel like they should discuss them separately) is as "text." A text is any durable collection of ideas which can be transmitted from one person to another. across space and / or time .. so, yeah, audiobook is a text but so is a cathedral and a comic book and a video game... You read a text not just by receiving it passively but by actively decoding it and placing it in context. so you could "read" Assassin's Creed Unity or whatever if you truly had nothing better to do

this is a tangent from a great thread, but I'm working on a theological treatise so I've got a bunch of weirdo vocabulary to test out

To get back on topic lemme tell you about one of the most fun books I own. I read it before bed every night. It's this collection called The Essential Ellison and it's a doorstop sized collection of Harlan Ellison stories filled with his notes and commentary and introduction after introduction after introduction ... I don't think anyone will ever write better stylish pulp purple prose than Harlan Ellison, and even when his ideas are a little shopworn or predictable he writes with so much guts that you can't help but smile at just how vivid and how complete he can get. He also dedicated the collection in part to Alfred Bester which warms my heart

Check out the cover:
Attachments
ellison.jpg
ellison.jpg (124.17KiB)Viewed 5177 times
SpaceLions

Post by SpaceLions » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:48 am

ldar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:16 am
Surprised at how much overlap there is from people from /lit/, I'm kind of from there too. I didn't read before I came across it it and I've started working through all the books they shill, which has been fun and insightful. To anyone who's read Hypersphere, is there any actual content in it worth the dreck it's immersed in? Their one "existentialist novel" L'anomie is basically a totally incoherent string of marginally-extended shitposts.
It is absolutely an incoherent string of marginally-extended shitposts. That's the nature of it's brilliance. It is a novelized record of modern communication. History used to be documented, nowadays history is documented as it happens. It is a complete paradox. /lit/ is the tradition of novelization through the filter of an age where new novels really can't exist anymore. They are an orange sucked dry as soon as they are published. /lit/ is the anti-publisher. It's so unique. Yes, it is largely a slog, but if you have a good sense of humor it is enthralling.