Japanimation (AKA "Animé") Central

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
containercore
Re: Japanimation (AKA "Animé") Central

Post by containercore » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Glad to see so many fellow "Japanomaniacs" (a word I've coined for us fans of Japanese culture haha) on here!
SpaceLions wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 pm
I finished watching Lain, which depressed the fuck out of me so to cleanse the pallet I picked up Haibane Renmei, which some of the Lain creators worked on.
Let me tell you, Haibane Renmei is literally the only slice of life with any merit. It satisfies the brainless indulgence of cute girls with an actual overarcing mystery that builds as the show goes on. Real good shit.
Also Don, please make this screenshot of Lain into an icon. You might have to reformat it.
Don't give up on the Slice of Life genre just yet! Especially if you haven't read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou :P There's a YKK OVA but I prefer the manga. And of course Yotsuba and Azumanga Daioh are masterpieces in their own right. I've also heard Aria's good but I haven't read/watched it.

But yeah big rec on YKK
ashinano_hitoshi_yokohama_kaidashi_kikou_hatsuseno_alpha_girl_smile_takes_34827_1920x1080.jpg
ashinano_hitoshi_yokohama_kaidashi_kikou_hatsuseno_alpha_girl_smile_takes_34827_1920x1080.jpg (749.73KiB)Viewed 4802 times
SpaceLions

Post by SpaceLions » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:21 pm

Penseroso wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:16 pm
Recently finished NGE + End of Evangelion for the first time.
Didn't like it tbh.
I didn't like either the first time I saw it either. You're not obligated to, but I'd watch the first two Eva remake movies and then revisit the series. It makes you appreciate the differences between the two and sometimes you make connections to the story of the show that you didn't make before.
containercore

Post by containercore » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:30 pm

Penseroso wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:16 pm
Recently finished NGE + End of Evangelion for the first time.
Didn't like it tbh.
It probably just didn't live up to the hype. I'm not the biggest fan either. I personally think Revolutionary Girl Utena out-Evangelions NGE in some ways (some of the same staff + the director of Sailor Moon). Be warned it's also probably a love it or hate it type of thing.
Penseroso

Post by Penseroso » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:17 am

Biggest problem I had with it was that Third Impact felt like shuckin' n' jivin' to distract from the fact that the plot didn't really go anywhere and all the importants bits were daisy-chained from the final three episodes prior.
For now, time to rewatch Paranoia Agent, some true kino.
レバニラ

Post by レバニラ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:31 am

Penseroso wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:17 am
Biggest problem I had with it was that Third Impact felt like shuckin' n' jivin' to distract from the fact that the plot didn't really go anywhere and all the importants bits were daisy-chained from the final three episodes prior.
Out of curiosity what did you view the series as being about?
It's an impossible conversation to have without sounding like some candle sinffing fuckfence, but I think 3rd impact served it's purpose perfectly.
The main problem, as far as I can see, is that the show relies so heavily on a meta-narrative that much is lost unless you were willing to go to the anime equivalent of book clubs to discuss it. It's one of those situations like "You have to read the supplemental novels to /REALLY/ understand it MAN, which to some people is definitely a weakness, but I enjoyed.

What did you feel didn't go together? Or what was missing that was present in the 3 prior episodes?
Call me Liver.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:39 am

I like K-ON and Non Non Biyori, but mostly because they can be cut up into very effective memes. Also His and Hers Circumstances is a cool one, I watched a bit of it in high school
Penseroso

Post by Penseroso » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:48 am

レバニラ wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:31 am
Penseroso wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:17 am
Out of curiosity what did you view the series as being about?
It's an impossible conversation to have without sounding like some candle sinffing fuckfence, but I think 3rd impact served it's purpose perfectly.
The main problem, as far as I can see, is that the show relies so heavily on a meta-narrative that much is lost unless you were willing to go to the anime equivalent of book clubs to discuss it. It's one of those situations like "You have to read the supplemental novels to /REALLY/ understand it MAN, which to some people is definitely a weakness, but I enjoyed.

What did you feel didn't go together? Or what was missing that was present in the 3 prior episodes?
Most of my problems stem from Shinji's relations not having been developed to cash in the payoff the show wants you to believe in. Aside from an awkward kiss and the I'm So Fucked Up Scene, Shinji and Asuka had very little relational development outside of competition and being roommates. Shinji's tension with Gendo was never addressed again after his EVA was forced to almost kill his friend, and that aside Gendo's motivation for ducking out of Seele's control seems to be completely nonsenscial. He wanted third impact to happen so he could be with his wife again. That's what Seele wanted, to initiate third impact. Why the subterfuge?
containercore

Post by containercore » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:37 am

I haven't watched the show but I gotta say I'm really really REALLY digging the tunes in the new Cardcaptor.

DevilDoa

Post by DevilDoa » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 am

Last edited by DevilDoa on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobold

Post by Kobold » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:35 pm

People are watching Blend-S.
The world is a dumpster
Standby for the trash fire
https://coolposs.neocities.org/