Old school OVA’s

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
AppFata
Re: Old school OVA’s

Post by AppFata » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:29 pm

don wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:50 pm
Great fucking thread. Here's my contribution:

Angel's Egg is one of my favorites. I haven't seen anything else posted in this thread so I have a lot to watch. I've heard that Belladonna of Sadness is supposed to be really good, but I haven't seen it yet.
UniversalWorldBaby

Post by UniversalWorldBaby » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:56 am

"Old school OVAs"

is this old enough?

I first heard about this series back in 2001 when an english dub version of the show broadcast on Cartoon Network's Toonami, and after some further digging fell in love with the successful 1980's adaptation by the same name:

the story is simple, but something about the barebones nature of the plot really lets you focus on the characters and the difficulties of coming to terms with being a mistake of man playing god (a la frankenstein) really resonated with me at the time. The Soundtrack is amazing in all of them and really adds a pleasant veneer of whimsy and delight to what is otherwise a very heavy story:

It's not for everyone, but the total number of episodes in all the series combined is not very long so it's at least worth a good look!
Enjoy.
prevert

Post by prevert » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Excellent thread.
A classic of manliness, Fist of the North Star:

For schlock value, here's Angel Cop. Gory action with vigilante cops, communist terrorists, psychic powers, cybernetic implants and more.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ee53hmXj-9

If you get a chance, I'd definitely also watch the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes. A real patrician's choice with great space action coupled with more measured moments on war, statecraft and politics. Some superb animation.
Last edited by prevert on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georg W.B.L.M.H.

Post by Georg W.B.L.M.H. » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Here's Robot Carnival, an anthology centered around machines. It's nine shorts which vary in quality from great to pretty good. The sound ain't the best, but it's pretty damn good. Check it out.
DevilDoa

Post by DevilDoa » Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 am

Disclaimer: I'm a Tekken addict. I jerk off punks under the Queensboro bridge for 15 dollars a man to support my habit. So trust me when I say this isn't a great movie. But its edgy and has a bunch of American Y2K angsty bands on the soundtrack. It's pretty fun overall and not a bad way to spend an hour.

I actually put this movie on in the background while I draw and put the finishing touches on my plan to exterminate the [REDACTED]. You know, those fucking [REDACTED] with their big stupid [REDACTED] always talking about how terrible the [REDACTED] was? Boy I'd like to shove my [REDACTED] right up their [REDACTED] and make them choke on my [REDACTED]! Then we'll see who's in charge!

yoku

Post by yoku » Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 am

Georg W.B.L.M.H. wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Here's Robot Carnival, an anthology centered around machines. It's nine shorts which vary in quality from great to pretty good. The sound ain't the best, but it's pretty damn good. Check it out.
I love this movie and have the comic adaptation but it’s a bit ripped up
yoku

Post by yoku » Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am

DevilDoa wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 am
Disclaimer: I'm a Tekken addict. I jerk off punks under the Queensboro bridge for 15 dollars a man to support my habit. So trust me when I say this isn't a great movie. But its edgy and has a bunch of American Y2K angsty bands on the soundtrack. It's pretty fun overall and not a bad way to spend an hour.

I actually put this movie on in the background while I draw and put the finishing touches on my plan to exterminate the [REDACTED]. You know, those fucking [REDACTED] with their big stupid [REDACTED] always talking about how terrible the [REDACTED] was? Boy I'd like to shove my [REDACTED] right up their [REDACTED] and make them choke on my [REDACTED]! Then we'll see who's in charge!

The animation is a masterpiece compared to the live action. The live action sits you down and asks you how much do you like Tekken really?
DevilDoa

Post by DevilDoa » Mon May 06, 2019 6:03 pm

yoku wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am

The live action sits you down and asks you how much do you like Tekken really?
LMFAO.
Last edited by DevilDoa on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Mon May 06, 2019 9:01 pm

TGIT (Thank God It's Tekken)
ArcadeWeapon

Post by ArcadeWeapon » Mon May 06, 2019 9:55 pm

DevilDoa wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:03 pm
yoku wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am

The live action sits you down and asks you how much do you like Tekken really?
LMFAO.
God I forgot about the live action movie. It still hurts.
Tekken me years to forget :ugeek: heh