MOVIES

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
yoku
Re: MOVIES

Post by yoku » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm

containercore wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:27 am
Found a nifty guide to the Samurai movie genre. The blog is still up but the page about Samurai movies is mysteriously gone. Thankfully the waybackmachine delivers.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180115195 ... jidaigeki/
Great site!
lvmb

Post by lvmb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 am

If you guys are intetested in watching Chinese films, then please watch Stephen Chow filmography.

Today's Chinese movies are full of shit tho, the movies from HongKong back in 90s were big time in Asian cinema.

I think Stephen Chow was the most influential figure to HongKong scene who fluently portrayed his Chinese philosophy on films, joy, anger, sorrow, and pleasure(憙怒哀樂). He put these Yin and Yang stuff into one film. The way he's committing comedy is fucking hilarious and sometimes you will see bittersweet stories.

Whereas Jackie Chen leaned to more about Kungfu actions, Stephen Chow made perfect combination of slapsticks and some sort of post irony(it's weired but hilarious)

yoku

Post by yoku » Sat May 04, 2019 2:03 pm

lvmb wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 am
If you guys are intetested in watching Chinese films, then please watch Stephen Chow filmography.

Today's Chinese movies are full of shit tho, the movies from HongKong back in 90s were big time in Asian cinema.

I think Stephen Chow was the most influential figure to HongKong scene who fluently portrayed his Chinese philosophy on films, joy, anger, sorrow, and pleasure(憙怒哀樂). He put these Yin and Yang stuff into one film. The way he's committing comedy is fucking hilarious and sometimes you will see bittersweet stories.

Whereas Jackie Chen leaned to more about Kungfu actions, Stephen Chow made perfect combination of slapsticks and some sort of post irony(it's weired but hilarious)

Chinese Odyssey 1&2 are in my top 20 favorite movies of all time. having friends willing to smash your balls to stop you from burning are the kind of friends we all need
ArcadeWeapon

Post by ArcadeWeapon » Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 pm

cant wait to check all this asian cinema out. My brother and I binged south-korean cinema hard back in high school. Anyone know if south-korea is still in the midst of a film-auteur 'golden age' so to speak? They were pushing out some serious quality last time I dipped my toes in. I see park chan wook is still keepin busy.
yoku

Post by yoku » Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 pm

ArcadeWeapon wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 pm
cant wait to check all this asian cinema out. My brother and I binged south-korean cinema hard back in high school. Anyone know if south-korea is still in the midst of a film-auteur 'golden age' so to speak? They were pushing out some serious quality last time I dipped my toes in. I see park chan wook is still keepin busy.
last one that I really liked was The Good, The Bad, and the Weird
lvmb

Post by lvmb » Sun May 05, 2019 12:29 am

ArcadeWeapon wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 pm
They passed golden ages though, still things are better than China or Japan.

For recent korean movies, The Wailing and Burning, these were so good so far
ArcadeWeapon

Post by ArcadeWeapon » Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 am

oh hell yeah, I forgot that Burning was on my radar. Ive heard some seriously positive buzz around it
Thats interesting what you said about Chinese and Japanese film. I was an asian film addict about a decade or so ago, and my main thrill was seeking out those classic underground finds (like back when Miike was slightly more obscure..maybe thats further back than a decade.) do you know if theres still a pulsing underground scene going on there at all? I suppose theres always some kind of obscure selection no matter the region, but I recall a palpable 'dangerous energy' surrounding Japanese film in particular. The good ol Tartan Extreme days and whatnot :D
yoku

Post by yoku » Sun May 05, 2019 1:15 am

lvmb

Post by lvmb » Sun May 05, 2019 2:10 am

ArcadeWeapon wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 am
oh hell yeah, I forgot that Burning was on my radar. Ive heard some seriously positive buzz around it
Thats interesting what you said about Chinese and Japanese film. I was an asian film addict about a decade or so ago, and my main thrill was seeking out those classic underground finds (like back when Miike was slightly more obscure..maybe thats further back than a decade.) do you know if theres still a pulsing underground scene going on there at all? I suppose theres always some kind of obscure selection no matter the region, but I recall a palpable 'dangerous energy' surrounding Japanese film in particular. The good ol Tartan Extreme days and whatnot :D
Chinese films lost their artistic freedom due to government regulation(now they are only making propaganda movies and it's awful)

In Japan, most money goes to anime production. Filmmakers, crews, and actors don't get paid very well and so basically this is why filmmaking is not profitable business in Japan. I see that some modern Japanese films have some significant, even fascinating scenaries compared to other Asian cinema, but other elements, such as acting and narratives are so bad. Their actings are even worse than Japanese anime dubs. They will never gonna make the movies like Kurosawa Akira or Ozu Yasujiro.

But still, there are good films in Japan tho

DevilDoa

Post by DevilDoa » Mon May 06, 2019 12:58 am

Last edited by DevilDoa on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.