Best Book You Read Latey

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
containercore
Re: Best Book You Read Latey

Post by containercore » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Nescio wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 pm
ColtonGray wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:15 am
Right now I'm reading The Fountainhead which is great.
I hope you don’t have friends who recommend Ayn Rand to you. The fiction of Ayn Rand is as low as you can get re fiction. I hope you picked it up off the floor of the subway and threw it in the nearest garbage pail. She makes Mickey Spillane look like Dostoevsky.
Personally I picked up my copy at a thrift store. Don't have that much of a desire to read it but how could I resist a cover like this? ;)
ayn.jpg
ayn.jpg (142.83KiB)Viewed 5614 times
Dedware

Post by Dedware » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 pm

- Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson
By Jeff Guinn

Pretty good, atmospheric read. Manson invented a thing called the "crazy game" while he got raped in reform school he found out that acting crazy and making noises and waving his arms around like a animal he got raped less and the bigger "kids" left him alone.

- I Ching
By Unknown

Impenetrable for now, but has some nice stylistic and visual quotes. Words like: autumn dream, summer paleness. "The cool breeze sang the music of clear stream."

- The Croning
By Laird Barron

Went in looking for something like Vampire: The Masquerade, kinda got it.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Dedware wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 pm
By Jeff Guinn

Pretty good, atmospheric read. Manson invented a thing called the "crazy game" while he got raped in reform school he found out that acting crazy and making noises and waving his arms around like a animal he got raped less and the bigger "kids" left him alone.

- I Ching
By Unknown

Impenetrable for now, but has some nice stylistic and visual quotes. Words like: autumn dream, summer paleness. "The cool breeze sang the music of clear stream."

- The Croning
By Laird Barron

I like Charles Manson's music as a weird hell-peek but never read any books about him. Did this book actually interview him or is it put together from police records?
Dedware

Post by Dedware » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:30 pm

don wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 pm
Dedware wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 pm
By Jeff Guinn

- I Ching
By Unknown

- The Croning
By Laird Barron

I like Charles Manson's music as a weird hell-peek but never read any books about him. Did this book actually interview him or is it put together from police records?
It takes info from everything on Manson, police records, court records, interviews etc. The author himself doesn't interview him. Released in 2014, some reviews said it's the definitive Manson biography, don't know if that means anything. I thought it was well written. " “A riveting, almost Dickensian narrative…four stars” (People). <-- I'd agree with that.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Right on, I'll check it out
Dedware

Post by Dedware » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:51 pm

don wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:49 pm
Right on, I'll check it out
Did you catch the thing at the end of my registeration email?
bizzaro

Post by bizzaro » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Lately I have been reading reprints/compilations of old Pulp Magazines.
So far I've read a The Best of Thrilling Adventures, which has a ton of short stories in it.
From space travel to western stories, it really has all you could want if you like the pulp magazine style; couldn't recommend it enough.
yoku

Post by yoku » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:17 pm

I’m reading Three Case Histories: the “wolf man”, The “rat man” and the psychotic Dr. Screber by Freud. Sure his conclusions are largely considered out of date and based on faulty assumptions, but man is it a fun read. Especially if you read it in a cartoonishly Freudian voice as he discusses the roots of a mans obsession with rats entering the orifices of his loved ones and the case study of Dr. Screber which is probably one of the first case studies of a trans person. This is definitely a no no book by modern progressive standards 4/5
E3C5AA51-6DCE-4539-A3F7-071BFF0EC981.jpeg
E3C5AA51-6DCE-4539-A3F7-071BFF0EC981.jpeg (30.5KiB)Viewed 5574 times
yoku

Post by yoku » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:34 pm

containercore wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:47 pm
Nescio wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 pm
ColtonGray wrote:
Right now I'm reading The Fountainhead which is great.
I hope you don’t have friends who recommend Ayn Rand to you. The fiction of Ayn Rand is as low as you can get re fiction. I hope you picked it up off the floor of the subway and threw it in the nearest garbage pail. She makes Mickey Spillane look like Dostoevsky.
Personally I picked up my copy at a thrift store. Don't have that much of a desire to read it but how could I resist a cover like this? ;)

ayn.jpg
I love Mickey Spillane, not a big Rand fan but love Ditko so I guess sometimes great things come from bland beginnings.
yoku

Post by yoku » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:51 pm

ColtonGray wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:44 am
ldar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:59 am
ColtonGray wrote:
I just started reading "seriously" a couple years ago so I'm playing catch-up by reading the classics.
Same!!!! What classics have you read/do you have on your list?
Hmmm off the top of my head I’ve read The Old Man & The Sea, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dune, Infinite Jest, Revolutionary Road, The French Liuetenant’s Woman, The Magus, Mere Christianity, The Hunt for Red October, Giovanni’s Room, The Denial of Death. I guess some of those are classics ahaha. I’m kinda trying to read all genres and just see what I like. John Fowles is my fave right now. I have Moby Dick and The Catcher & The Rye on my to-read pile. What about you? The feel a little intellectually stunted compared to some of the big-brains here! (edit: that sounded sarcastic but I mean it, I spent the teen years playing Pokémon Crystal over & over again like a retard with no regard for learning or literature)
Don’t worry about being behind! I was generally considered reading retarded for years (even got a doctors note for it). But it was mainly because teachers always presented books as something to slog through and not to be enjoyed. Did you know that Joseph Conrad is an adventure writer and not a Lit class required reading material? Nostromo is a bad ass. The Divine Comedy is actually a comedy where Dante talks shit about historical figures and people he just thought were assholes. Books that I once thought were impenetrable became a joy once I started reading them for fun and insight. Don’t worry about other people’s analysis of books, if the book gives you something then don’t worry about some stuffy academic claiming that your interpretation is wrong or the writers conclusions are out of date. Books are fun because they make you think about all kinds of crazy things and they help you dream about the world.