MOVIES

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
レバニラ
Re: MOVIES

Post by レバニラ » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:08 pm

yoku wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:56 am
ForeverWar wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:05 am
"A Boy and his Dog" is pretty good.

I love this, I have a copy of Vic and Blood somewhere by Harlan Ellison and Richard Corben that this was based off, one of my favorite comics
One of the things I've been most genuinely thankful for in recent years is that Harlan finished the story before he died.
I could be wrong but I think "Blood's a Rover" is his final written work to be released, which is just absolutely a gift to humanity.
Call me Liver.
DevilDoa

Post by DevilDoa » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Last edited by DevilDoa on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolenza

Post by Tolenza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 am

The Hobbit trilogy wasn't too bad from what I remember, but it doesn't have a Helm's Deep so it's not that crazy.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:23 am

RedRanger

Post by RedRanger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:25 pm

I almost exclusively watch movies from between 1920 and 1970. I feel like back in the day it was only the cream of the crop films that were even allowed to be greenlit, so you got these stellar over the top performances from even the most minor characters. It also feels like the writers, actors and directors have an actual educated understanding of the human condition. In every modern movie evil and good are not just obvious, but simple, without any real drama or conflict from the characters. Good people end good and bad people end bad. There are obviously good movies to have come out in the past 50 years, but I feel like modern films use the same devices those in the 20's created, but forgot that you're supposed to fucking innovate it. Older movies are just classier, the culture around them was cleaner and the style of acting was very "honorable" for lack of a better term. There was a lot of dimension to characters, be it from slight facial expressions, or a certain intonation in their voice, they just had a better grip IMO.
yoku

Post by yoku » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 am

You seen this Redranger?
UniversalWorldBaby

Post by UniversalWorldBaby » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:29 pm

RedRanger wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:25 pm
I almost exclusively watch movies from between 1920 and 1970. I feel like back in the day it was only the cream of the crop films that were even allowed to be greenlit, so you got these stellar over the top performances from even the most minor characters. It also feels like the writers, actors and directors have an actual educated understanding of the human condition. In every modern movie evil and good are not just obvious, but simple, without any real drama or conflict from the characters. Good people end good and bad people end bad. There are obviously good movies to have come out in the past 50 years, but I feel like modern films use the same devices those in the 20's created, but forgot that you're supposed to fucking innovate it. Older movies are just classier, the culture around them was cleaner and the style of acting was very "honorable" for lack of a better term. There was a lot of dimension to characters, be it from slight facial expressions, or a certain intonation in their voice, they just had a better grip IMO.
in those times all actors were theatre actors, some just did films too.
Now that CGI and social media is a big thing, actors are little more than pretty faces with memorable enough names to pivot from one pop film to the next.
For example, look at how many of the films from that period led with the credits and how slow the names scrolled. It was a different time for a different sort of consumer and I don't blame you for having any sort of taste.
ganymede

Post by ganymede » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:38 am

What did Andrei Tarkovsky mean with this?

ForeverWar

Post by ForeverWar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am

the word is a virus