LitPunx! Used book/comic hauls

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
Kobold
LitPunx! Used book/comic hauls

Post by Kobold » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:47 pm

OFFICIAL LitPunx!™ thread for posting used book and comic hauls. Starting off with mine from today (6/8/19)
The best part, all this was eight dollars! This haul almost didn't come through. I had originally only planned to grab a few sci-fi books to read over lunch but didn't have cash on me. There was only one ATM in town and running the few blocks to it I found it wouldnt let me withdraw cash, even for a non-customer fee, which I thought was pretty standard. I jogged back towards a subway hoping I could get cash back when someone yelled at me "Kobold, what the fuck are you doing?" It was my cousin.

"Uh, just trying to get some fuckin' money. ATM will let me change my pin but not withdraw, like, what the fuck?"

"Is it important, are you okay?"

"Yeah I just have some books on hold and the sale closed 15 minutes ago."

She handed me a ten dollar bill and I thanked her profusely, told her to say hi to her daughter and took off in a run into a nearby alleyway, doubtlessly leaving the guy she was with confused and to who this mysterious level 25 half-twink junkie was.

The event security guard welcomed me back and walked me through the sci-fi and military fiction sections pointing out his favorites to a fellow litpunk. All in all it went as well as possible, I only regret that I couldn't have saved more books from whatever fate awaits them, tossed into large boxes in the back of unmarked trucks.
The world is a dumpster
Standby for the trash fire
https://coolposs.neocities.org/
Kobold

Re: LitPunx! Used book/comic hauls

Post by Kobold » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Addendum: walking down to the dollar store I offered a guy at a yard sale $2 for the SOG book and he gave me this whole box which sucked to carry a mile back to my house. Mostly probably won't end up reading any of them besides the Vietnam Commando book.
I guess hit me up if you need paperbacks about horses.
The world is a dumpster
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Sick hauls Kobold. I go book shopping every monday I'll post some pix once I get my next collection
Zero Cool

Post by Zero Cool » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Collecting books is fucking great I just don't have the space for it at the moment.

But yeah book collections are the best. I'm looking forward to seeing more collections ITT.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 pm

WIN_20190610_18_34_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190610_18_34_37_Pro.jpg (84.69KiB)Viewed 9525 times
Today I went into Manhattan with my buddy Doug Skinner for our usual bookshopping haul. I'm broke as a joke, so I only had 6$ to spend. Spent three on coffee and three on the haul above. Bullfich's Mythology is a great primer on classical myth, Arthurtian legend and the legends of Charlemagne. It was considered standard reading for educated kids throughout the 19th century (its most successful volume being the first, The Age of Fable) and the only copy I've had before was a paperback abridgement. This is a complete, even expanded edition, which comes from some library where (according to the included card) it was never checked out. 2$ for 1,000 pages of fun. Next, for 1$, I found H. Rider Haggard's trilogy of adventure stories including She, Allan Quartermain and King Solomon's Mines. King Solonmon's Mines is the only one I've read before, although I have a paperback of She somewhere.

All that is worth as much as a cup of coffee.
yoku

Post by yoku » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:54 am

I have your She, sorry. King Salomon's Mines is way better.
yoku

Post by yoku » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:06 am

I guess I should post my B-day week haul. I was going to splurge on a huge Gundam but decided against it and instead focused on making $1 book finds from several different spots around Brooklyn. NY may be a shit hole of fuck faces but man can you find some good stuff that those Fuck faces don't want at all. I spent a total of $23 and I am quite proud of my haul.

Starting out I got a Dell copy of Robert E. Howard's Bran Mak Morn. I have not read these stories yet but they sound like Conan stories that take place during roman times so I am very excited. Don says good things about it and has the full collection. I like little pocket books so I can read it on the go and this one is my new lunch time reading book.

Next is Norman Mailer's Miami and the Siege of Chicago: An informal History of the Republican and Democratic Conventions of 1968. The last Mailer book I read was An American Dream and that was about 17 years ago but I remember it fondly and I tend to like reporting books and essay collections from authors like Orwell and Mailer rather than their fiction so this one will be my shitting book.

Paul Krassner's Tales of Tongue Fu was a garbage bin pick from the book store on their pay what you want rack. I gave .50 cents and its actually quite funny so I got a good deal. The Main character is the mutant son of a Japanese Kamikaze piolt and an American nurse with a 15" tongue so I can relate even though I have a very short tongue.
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg (122.86KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg (99.91KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg (148.43KiB)Viewed 9515 times
For the comics I got a Hulk and Sub-Mariner which must have been written when Stan Lee was going through some shit because he puts his therapist in the credits.

The Time Bandits comic adaption of the movie (which if you haven't seen you should, its awesome) Its a very faithful adaptation that gets all the main points in 48 pages, but kind of the tweeks the end so it doesn't seem as fucked up.

Above Top Secret Comics is nice. I already have a copy of this but for a $1 I figure that it would make a nice trash box addition. Its a bit of Wes Crum is a character and I think this is one of his earliest works. He is mainly known for his adult comics like Anal Intruder From Uranus.

The Odyssey Adaption is fucking amazing. The art by Jess(Jesus) Jodloman is top notch and Bill Mantlo writing keeps it quick and to the violent point.
IMG_1175.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg (120.2KiB)Viewed 9515 times
Clive Barker is fucken Bananas. I don't really know what to say other than I use to find Clive Barker comics at my Library as a kid and have memories of them being super fucked up but this one really takes the cake.
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg (115.67KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg (56.86KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1173.jpg (77.87KiB)Viewed 9515 times
The Berni Wrightson Masterworks Series is good, I love Bernie and the stories are all good but they did some weird color shit to the rpint and it just doesn't look that great, but for a $1 I can't complain ( even though i just did)

Next I got Twisted Tales with an awesome Richard Corbin cover and short comic inside. Pacific is an interesting publisher that was a short lived venture in the early 1980's that speciallized in bringing together some of the best artist from the previous four decades, the only catch is that Bruce Jones would right almost all the stories and these great artist would illustrate them. Bruce Jones is pretty good and he can be great but you get the sense that he is over worked even though he is trying his best.
IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg (81.36KiB)Viewed 9515 times
Same with the Alien Worlds except Bruce Jones did do a great cave man story in this one with a cave man named Jake. Pacific would eventually go out of business. Rumor has is was due to Neil Adams demanding a huge advance and then never producing a work in time so they couldn't recoup their money.
IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg (91.03KiB)Viewed 9515 times
Where Monsters Dwell is good. One has a nice Ditko story that you can feel the Stan Lee castration as you read, but the art is awesome. The other one has a cool story warning about the dangers of AI
IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg (137.22KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg (119.75KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg (136.31KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg (101.27KiB)Viewed 9515 times
The advanced reading copy of End of Megafauna is ok. If the final version has color images that it would be fucken amazing because the drawing by Peter Schouten are top tier. but this copy has really low quality images. Ross Macphees writing is pretty weak. He whole point seems to be that humans are not responsible for the disappearance of the Megafauna and here is a whole book full of reasons why BUUUUT humans are responsible for the current mass extinctions because we have scientist and data now. I could be wrong I only read like 10 pages
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg (87.99KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg (57.58KiB)Viewed 9515 times
Will Eisner is a gem and the fact that he was still making magazines till he died in 2005 should be goal for us all. in this Quarterly 2 he has a great story called Life force and reprints Spirit comics from the 40's. He also has a great Shop Talk with his friend Gill Fox where they reminisce about their recently departed friend Lou Fine who was an amazing artist. they talk about Lou's background and influences and basically sound like old friends who miss their buddy.
IMG_1187.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg (113.32KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1188.jpg
IMG_1188.jpg (134.88KiB)Viewed 9515 times
Vampire Tales I have not gotten to yet but the art looks amazing and it has some great articles about Vampire Hunting: for fear and profit, the conclusion of a three part essay.
IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg (99.64KiB)Viewed 9515 times
The House of Hammer I have also not really gotten into yet though I did read half of an interview with Michael Carreras who was the son and heir to Hammer Studios founder James Carreras. He talks about what is in-store for Hammer moving forward into 1978, detailing his plans for expansion and getting back to their gruesome roots. Notably he mentions some of their non horror fair such as Steel Bayonet which I have not seen and will try to hunt down.
IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg (89.2KiB)Viewed 9515 times
Early Starlog are the best Starlog, its a much nerdier and technical version of what the magazine would later become. They would explore what was happening in real life space sciences and what the cutting edge(at the time ) special effects were up too as well as sci-fi media stuff like movies and books. I look forward to reading about P.S. Ellenshaw the Matte painter for the upcoming new movie, Star Wars (this issue can out in 1978)
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg (125.12KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1192.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg (124.53KiB)Viewed 9515 times
Really happy with everything, nothing fixes my moods better than getting into some old books, comics and magazines. They fill my brain with weird factoids and the older magazines make me feel like im living in a time when things were new and exciting. I don't know they just make me feel good. I'm sure I could find all this info somewhere on the interwebs but there is something about finding them in the wilds of life that make me feel like God put them there just for me.
Attachments
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg (125.82KiB)Viewed 9515 times
IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg (109.45KiB)Viewed 9515 times
yoku

Post by yoku » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:20 am

Oh I forgot I found 2 Dr.Slump mangas that were rejected from the Brooklyn library system for being too hilarious
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg (107.78KiB)Viewed 9510 times
IMG_1194.jpg
IMG_1194.jpg (88.71KiB)Viewed 9510 times
Kobold

Post by Kobold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:44 am

yoku wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:20 am
Oh I forgot I found 2 Dr.Slump mangas that were rejected from the Brooklyn library system for being too hilarious
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1194.jpg
I've never seen these, I love that character design!
The world is a dumpster
yoku

Post by yoku » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Dr.Slump is the manga Akita Toriyama did before he did Dragonball. It’s basically short vignettes with funny rude humor and some really questionable perv jokes.