what are you reading for? a books thread

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
nfl69
what are you reading for? a books thread

Post by nfl69 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:16 pm

read a couple of pk dick books for the first time recently, we can build you and flow my tears, was not really a fan of either...both seemed kinda low effort compared to other stuff i've read from him, not bad but not great...

currently reading "the family" a nonfiction account of the manson family and their activities from the beginning to the end...a slow read due to the density of information, but i'm enjoying it so far...what a bunch of weirdos amirite?

on deck i've got a couple of books about mexican drug cartels laundering money through american quarter horse racing, and the re/search guide to industrial culture
レバニラ

Re: what are you reading for? a books thread

Post by レバニラ » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Currently I just picked up Kim by Kipling at Matt's recommendation.

Other than that I have a book on Freemasonry a friend lent, and some manga I need to get through.

Lately with the move and stuff I haven't been able to sit down and read anything for a minute, but I'm hoping to get through a few pages of Kim before bed at night.
Call me Liver.
yoku

Re: what are you reading for? a books thread

Post by yoku » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:48 am

I'm almost done with Diary of a Mad Old Man. Its super funny especially if you know weird things about Japanese people like that they have stubby block feet. He also goes into depth about weird physical ailments one experiences as they age and how your family and medical professionals treat you. the old man is getting real ballsy as the story progresses and he stops giving a shit.

I've also got Twilight of Idols by Nietzsche as my side book. He wrote it before Antichrist and a year before he went mad. Its his funniest book, with great lines like "'Reason' in language: oh what a deceitful old woman! I fear we are not getting rid of God because we still believe in Grammar..." I only read a few pages at a time, its more for day dreaming than anything. Its not like I understand everything or anything about it really, but it makes me think about my life and how I'm approaching problems. If I was in college and was writing an essay on him I'd probably get a C- because I'm not understanding that he is antiquated and antisemitic, and I'm not to supposed to like his writing and I'm just supposed to read it to understand that its wrong, but hey I'm not in college and I get to read it for free and enjoy it so, yay. Its really short but I don't feel like its a book that you every really finish. I really like his essay on The Problem with Socrates and The four Great Errors. If you can find the R.J. Hollingdale translation in the Penguin Classics, its better than the Richard Polt one which is online.

My next book is going to be Ramayana by William Buck, I'm not sure how it'll go because its not a translation of the story as much as he took the story and made a novel out of the story if that makes sense. I'm going to give it a shot because I know that their are giants and Monkey armies and giants fighting giant flying monkeys and stuff so hopefully it will be fun.