pickin' pluckin' etc. anyone play an instrument or 3?

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
nfl69
pickin' pluckin' etc. anyone play an instrument or 3?

Post by nfl69 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 pm

fan of the guitars and the drums, been playing for a long time...

anyone into the music instruments? anyone wanna learn? talk about your 9 string guitar, vintage harmonicas, lutes, et al. here...

you can even use this thread to convince me that banjo sounds good
yoku

Re: pickin' pluckin' etc. anyone play an instrument or 3?

Post by yoku » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:13 pm

I wish I could play an instrument better. I know three chords on the guitar and can play a little piano and LOVE BLOWING A HARMONICA
Rallys69 2

Post by Rallys69 2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Started with alto saxophone in 5th grade band class. I learned clarinet to get in the youth symphony and it's my main one since then. The best group I played with is my local community band. Most of the people in it are older and everyone is there because they all want to play music together. We play a christmas concert, 4th of july, seasonal things, stuff like that. Our conductor is great. He lets the band learn the song ourselves during rehearsal and then gets picky. Other conductors will start off being picky and then ease off, which is an annoying way to do it. We learn how to play together as a band first. I'm not a professional or anything btw. Right now I'm trying to teach myself piano
nfl69

Post by nfl69 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 am

Rallys69 2 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:55 pm
Started with alto saxophone in 5th grade band class. I learned clarinet to get in the youth symphony and it's my main one since then. The best group I played with is my local community band. Most of the people in it are older and everyone is there because they all want to play music together. We play a christmas concert, 4th of july, seasonal things, stuff like that. Our conductor is great. He lets the band learn the song ourselves during rehearsal and then gets picky. Other conductors will start off being picky and then ease off, which is an annoying way to do it. We learn how to play together as a band first. I'm not a professional or anything btw. Right now I'm trying to teach myself piano

that all sounds real nice! piano is a good one to learn because it unlocks a lot of doors but it aint easy
Rallys69 2

Post by Rallys69 2 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:29 am

How do everyone learn to play?
yoku

Post by yoku » Fri May 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Rallys69 2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:29 am
I was in Band in 7th grade percussion, they kicked me out because i would mess around in the back. I also don't think i have very good rhythm. I used to mess around on the piano at church and I figured out how to play ode to joy on my own, mainly i play piano like James in the dagger youtube vid, where i just mess around until it sounds like i want, which is not entirely useless in the era of loopers and shit because basically you just have to get a snip of what you want and layer it up into something. But I cant play with two hands or play a whole song. I was shown the three cords of I wanna be your dog on the guitar and i mainly strum some variation of that whenever i find a guitar and it creates the illusion that i can play but that plus some finger plucking that i picked up while my daughter was learning guitar is all i got. I wish I pursued it more, I have a few friends who are in bands and stuff and its like black magic how they can play music live.
Rallys69 2

Post by Rallys69 2 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 pm

yoku wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:54 pm
Rallys69 2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:29 am
I was in Band in 7th grade percussion, they kicked me out because i would mess around in the back. I also don't think i have very good rhythm. I used to mess around on the piano at church and I figured out how to play ode to joy on my own, mainly i play piano like James in the dagger youtube vid, where i just mess around until it sounds like i want, which is not entirely useless in the era of loopers and shit because basically you just have to get a snip of what you want and layer it up into something. But I cant play with two hands or play a whole song. I was shown the three cords of I wanna be your dog on the guitar and i mainly strum some variation of that whenever i find a guitar and it creates the illusion that i can play but that plus some finger plucking that i picked up while my daughter was learning guitar is all i got. I wish I pursued it more, I have a few friends who are in bands and stuff and its like black magic how they can play music live.
My brother plays the same way. I wish I could play like him and he wishes he could read sheets like me. Music is much more social when everyone is messing around doing what sounds good which I haven't been able to do. You can develop a lot as a musician by just hearing intervals, and all I mean by that is guessing pretty well how far one note is from another and you can do that by just listening. The only risk is sounding gay. On the other side of things some people are autistic about music theory. Style is still super important when it comes to traditional composition
nfl69

Post by nfl69 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 pm

played percussion during school years, was also briefly in the marching band but it cut into my juvenile delinquent activities...learned a lot about how to read/count rhythm which helps when you're playing with people who are trained

as far as playing the instruments that can do melody, mostly just fucking around since i was pretty young...once you get past the ergonomics/physical logistics of whatever you're trying to play you can do whatever you want until it sounds the way you want it to...
kudoz_blogs

Post by kudoz_blogs » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:40 am

Rallys69 2 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:55 pm
That's a good way to do it, gradually improving over time. Starting uptight and letting off doesn't make any sense.

Does your community band have any drama? Ours had an usurper to the throne of Conductor and then a whole practice night was full of tears and arguing and waving around printed e-mails and Facebook screenshots.

How close are saxophone and clarinet btw?

I used to play double bass and I was the only string instrument in community band so I liked to joke that I was the string section. Nowadays I only play piano because I want to write music or else I have to <del>kill myself</del> watch Netflix like a good boy until my organs fail.
Knowen

Post by Knowen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:51 pm