LitPunx! Used book/comic hauls

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
yoku
Re: LitPunx! Used book/comic hauls

Post by yoku » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 am

Found a little book shack by my anger management class that has three rack outside that are pay what you want. I decided to give a dollar a book because he had such a great selection.

Louis L'Amour was a cowboy writer that wrote a ton of books. This is his memoir. I read about 20 pages so far and its great. Its basically a cowboy telling you what books he was reading as he tells his life story. He was a western union carrier, A seaman in the south sea, a boxer and of course a cowboy. He encourages people to read and how to learn and enjoy learning. Its a beautiful biography and is lifting my spirits. Going to switch off of Dostoevsky The Double to read this cause Dostoevsky was making me feel weird, even though it is really good. Dostoevsky feels like my inner fears and anxieties. L'Amour makes me feel like an old cowboy has taken a personal interest in me and wants to share all his favorite books to help me on an adventure, and he hopes I learn something along the way.
IMG_1232.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg (60.43KiB)Viewed 8316 times
IMG_1239.jpg
IMG_1239.jpg (102.53KiB)Viewed 8316 times
Prehystarical Pogo in Pandamonia Is unbelievable. This collection was released in 1967 and it is some of the best comic-strip art I have every seen. If you like Bone or Calvin and Hobbes or just art in general this is a great.book. Ive just flipped through it but Im super stoked on it.
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1233.jpg (108.28KiB)Viewed 8316 times
IMG_1238.jpg
IMG_1238.jpg (126.4KiB)Viewed 8316 times
Mickey Spillane's is fun. I read his Tiger Mann story which I liked in a weird Libertarian Capitalist sort of way. This is a Mike Hammer book which he is more famous for. I not sure I'm in the mood for it right now but I'm glad I picked it up.
IMG_1234.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg (99.32KiB)Viewed 8316 times
IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg (92.01KiB)Viewed 8316 times
Pygmies and Dream Giants looks fucken awesome. Its part anthropological part spirit journey crazy writing. release in 1957 the author went in the jungles of the Philippines to live with headhunting pygmies to figure out what it means to be a modern man. I think this will be my lunch break book.
IMG_1235.jpg
IMG_1235.jpg (99.3KiB)Viewed 8316 times
IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1236.jpg (144.55KiB)Viewed 8316 times
hayden

Post by hayden » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am

Here is today's haul. The Goodwill I went to didn't really seem to have comic books or manga or anything like that, but that's ok. I stopped by the park and read for about an hour, but Florida is Florida and it rained. :(

This book, in particular, has been a lot of fun to read so far. The ghostwriter has a good eye for action scenes, but his dialogue is nothing special. In the prologue, in fact, during the first scene of the book we get this gem:
'Spare me the clichés, Curtis,' she slurred. 'You may be America's top rocket scientist, but you're a failure as a husband.'
Curtis later goes on to defect to North Korea with all of the US' nuclear information because his wife is a bitch--no, really, they imply that.

The dialogue is mostly exposition, and that's ok for a fun, action-oriented book like this.
yoku

Post by yoku » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:53 am

excellent finds! Invisible Man by Ellison is on my reading list.
Kobold

Post by Kobold » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:08 am

hayden wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am
Here is today's haul. The Goodwill I went to didn't really seem to have comic books or manga or anything like that, but that's ok. I stopped by the park and read for about an hour, but Florida is Florida and it rained. :(

This book, in particular, has been a lot of fun to read so far. The ghostwriter has a good eye for action scenes, but his dialogue is nothing special. In the prologue, in fact, during the first scene of the book we get this gem:
'Spare me the clichés, Curtis,' she slurred. 'You may be America's top rocket scientist, but you're a failure as a husband.'
Curtis later goes on to defect to North Korea with all of the US' nuclear information because his wife is a bitch--no, really, they imply that.

The dialogue is mostly exposition, and that's ok for a fun, action-oriented book like this.
The covers are awesome on those Mack Bolan books. also >SIEGE
The world is a dumpster
Standby for the trash fire
https://coolposs.neocities.org/
containercore

Post by containercore » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:56 pm

bookhaul.jpg
bookhaul.jpg (203.84KiB)Viewed 8293 times
Used bookstore nearby had a bunch of neat stuff, wish they'd had volumes I & II of the Louis XIV book tho because now I have to track those down.
books2.jpg
books2.jpg (112.94KiB)Viewed 8293 times
Bought two copies of The Magus since one's a gift for a friend but ended up with one copy of the revised 70's edition (red) and a copy of the original 1965 edition (green) so I guess I have to find some one to trade with to get the updated version.

Not pictured (because my phone's dead) History of Frederick the Great by Thomas Carlyle, The Eighteenth Century Background by Basil Willey and Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (part of the gift bundle for my friend).
Ol'TwoSpoons

Post by Ol'TwoSpoons » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Bro top right book is from pizzagate

Case closed, enjoy jail.
containercore

Post by containercore » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Ol'TwoSpoons wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 pm
Bro top right book is from pizzagate

Case closed, enjoy jail.
Nō.
FTdotgov

Post by FTdotgov » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Kobold wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:47 pm
The millennial Nixon reader aesthetic discovered/demonstrated by Don in that other thread is very interesting and flavorful. Am I alone in finding it powerful? Just on an aesthetical and sensory level. The instant mental implications of a millennial guy appreciating Richard Nixon are very sudden and cause the mind to rush through all the vague, novel social subtleties attached: the styles, the hierarchies, beauties, eras, dramas, humor, etc., swimming and stewing together into the inspecific, inconcrete, primordial, cosmic, fundamental feeling of "an aesthetic".
Kobold

Post by Kobold » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:25 pm

FTdotgov wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:05 pm

The millennial Nixon reader aesthetic discovered/demonstrated by Don in that other thread is very interesting and flavorful. Am I alone in finding it powerful? Just on an aesthetical and sensory level. The instant mental implications of a millennial guy appreciating Richard Nixon are very sudden and cause the mind to rush through all the vague, novel social subtleties attached: the styles, the hierarchies, beauties, eras, dramas, humor, etc., swimming and stewing together into the inspecific, inconcrete, primordial, cosmic, fundamental feeling of "an aesthetic".
I agree, Nixon is held up as a villain by the cultural forces that would paint up with the same brush so why not see what he has to say.
The world is a dumpster
Standby for the trash fire
https://coolposs.neocities.org/
AdamZane

Post by AdamZane » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:07 am

containercore wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:56 pm
bookhaul.jpg
Used bookstore nearby had a bunch of neat stuff, wish they'd had volumes I & II of the Louis XIV book tho because now I have to track those down.
books2.jpg
Bought two copies of The Magus since one's a gift for a friend but ended up with one copy of the revised 70's edition (red) and a copy of the original 1965 edition (green) so I guess I have to find some one to trade with to get the updated version.

Not pictured (because my phone's dead) History of Frederick the Great by Thomas Carlyle, The Eighteenth Century Background by Basil Willey and Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (part of the gift bundle for my friend).
Fuck man Im jealous of those Noh plays you read em yet any worth while From what i read in the past noh is a lot less palatable than kabuki the latter tends towards the working class and societal struggles embodied in individuals