Fraternities and "The Lodge" - A Lost Legacy of Our Grandfathers

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
MuhPigeon
Re: Fraternities and "The Lodge" - A Lost Legacy of Our Grandfathers

Post by MuhPigeon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:04 pm

We gotta start our own lodge. DaggerLodge.
レバニラ

Post by レバニラ » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:30 pm

MuhPigeon wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:04 pm
Finding meaning and purpose in cuties and esoteric shit posting.
Call me Liver.
don
Site Admin

Post by don » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:34 pm

レバニラ wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:30 pm
MuhPigeon wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:04 pm
Finding meaning and purpose in cuties and esoteric shit posting.
Honestly there a lot of worse places to find meaning

Been thinking too that this is one of the things I really like about tabletop RPGs, they basically produce micro-lodges and mini-secret societies powered by in jokes, common ritual and convivial co-existence and they are more often than not male only because most women find them detestable
ganymede

Post by ganymede » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:12 am

I think some of the utter demoralization of fraternal orders has come from the insistent introduction of women into a previously chaste environment. When a neutral environment for men is infiltrated by women the priority amongst at least some of them will be to bang her (thankyou lizard brain) and previously friendly males compete in a more visceral way for reproductive rights. This is a widely observed phenomenon.

Male bonding is something achieved through shared experience and sportly competition (extended in our age to the recreative realms of online and tabletop gaming etc). Without an exclusively male environment this is impossible. Men are naturally homoerotic; that is to say, they value the opinions of their own sex over that of women. Sexual competition turns a friendly sport into a more competitive and erotically destructive drive to succeed.
UniversalWorldBaby

Post by UniversalWorldBaby » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:28 am

ganymede wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:12 am
I think some of the utter demoralization of fraternal orders has come from the insistent introduction of women into a previously chaste environment. When a neutral environment for men is infiltrated by women the priority amongst at least some of them will be to bang her (thankyou lizard brain) and previously friendly males compete in a more visceral way for reproductive rights. This is a widely observed phenomenon.

Male bonding is something achieved through shared experience and sportly competition (extended in our age to the recreative realms of online and tabletop gaming etc). Without an exclusively male environment this is impossible. Men are naturally homoerotic; that is to say, they value the opinions of their own sex over that of women. Sexual competition turns a friendly sport into a more competitive and erotically destructive drive to succeed.
It certainly does not help the cause that neutral environments exclusively for men are now essentially illegal (while woman only spaces exist ad-nauseam, of course). I do think a major unspoken contribution to the decline of fraternities is the result of the unresolved tension of the Civil Rights Era and the legacy of forced integration on both sides. People have largely found it easier not to interact at all, instead of trying to bride that horrible divide and create the necessary and honest discussion to reignite the flames of universal brotherhood.
Even the simple ritual of the barbershop is a declining trend amongst the African-American community, and soon we will find most of the concepts to be found within these organizations past to be forgotten in time unless there is a more conscious effort to revive the communal spirit. It's a very strange and sad time to be alive, by these metrics...
ganymede

Post by ganymede » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:36 am

UniversalWorldBaby wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:28 am
ganymede wrote:

It certainly does not help the cause that neutral environments exclusively for men are now essentially illegal (while woman only spaces exist ad-nauseam, of course). I do think a major unspoken contribution to the decline of fraternities is the result of the unresolved tension of the Civil Rights Era and the legacy of forced integration on both sides. People have largely found it easier not to interact at all, instead of trying to bride that horrible divide and create the necessary and honest discussion to reignite the flames of universal brotherhood.
Even the simple ritual of the barbershop is a declining trend amongst the African-American community, and soon we will find most of the concepts to be found within these organizations past to be forgotten in time unless there is a more conscious effort to revive the communal spirit. It's a very strange and sad time to be alive, by these metrics...
The policy of racial integration in America has had the opposite of the intended effect. All races are more entrenched than ever and compete more voraciously than ever in identity politics, which the white man is also now beginning to partake in (for shame). Its become a cold race-war similar to before the civil rights act (1964) when the fire of racial tension was stoked every now and then by riots (nowadays its the unarmed innocent black man shot by racist police).

Such a waste to not learn from the mistakes of the past.
レバニラ

Post by レバニラ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:39 pm

ganymede wrote:

I agree with the "Men only" part.

That's one of the joys of the lodge I belong to, we're still men only. (Although I've read some lodges allow men who joined as men then (((transitioned))) stay members, which I'm against, but whatever)

It's nice. It feels very Greatest Generation where I'm at. Makes me want to go home and put on a smoking jacket, it's good times.
Call me Liver.
weaksausage

Post by weaksausage » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:49 pm

The Freemason’s Daddy

Be wary when traveling
That ye not open your gums
And break oaths unraveling
What’s on the tips of yer tongues.
While yer conscience is scrambling
Hold the breath in your lungs!
And breathe easy my son.

After lain blindfolded
Oh the people to befriend,
Mysteries become unfolded
So speak with yer feet as not to offend.
Secrets extolled will be scolded
Would ye like to hear of old Morgan again?
Listen carefully my son.

By and by ye lived sprightly
Like romantics of yore
Ye had sexual conquests on the nightly
And killed a few whores.
Human sacrifice did delight thee
And not to be bored, ye tested it for more.
Tread lightly my son.

God willing it’s certain
When yer days are antiquated,
With yer cock behind curtain
And yer path to riches gold-plated,
Ye will ponder perfections and incursions
And yer soul will remain most deflated.
Think diligently my son.

It is the day of all days
A moment so fresh,
As ye lay in decay
Outward has flown yer last breathe.
And just what did ye say?
That yer savior’s a Jew!?
Rest in peace my son
And rejoice the Good News!
I knew all along ye be not such a bad dude!
ldar

Post by ldar » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm

tepid take imo

when i think of these orgs it brings to mind self-important boomer dirt bags.
レバニラ

Post by レバニラ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:50 pm

ldar wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm
tepid take imo

when i think of these orgs it brings to mind self-important boomer dirt bags.
I'd definitely be curious as to where that comes form.
There's a little bit of self-importance for sure, but it's an organization completely based on self betterment, so obviously there's a bit of self fellating going on there.

As for the doomer aspect, it's kind of the opposite. The one I belong to at least focuses a lot on faith and philosophy, so it's more needlessly optimistic and mystic than doomery.

What sort of context is there for your view if I could ask?
Call me Liver.