THE COMIC BOOK THAT ONLY YOU READ

General posts about Dagger, books, vidcons, anime, TV, the ongoing collapse of western civilization and Don's student loans. no politics
SpaceLions
THE COMIC BOOK THAT ONLY YOU READ

Post by SpaceLions » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:14 am

Post the comic book series' that basically only you were reading.
For me, the only comics I ever followed were Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog. I started reading and collecting them as a little kid because wow Sonic is a video game I didn't know he was a comic too. As I got older I stopped collecting because I got old enough that my mom wasn't just gonna buy me comics anymore and I was broke, but I kept reading them illegally online because it's so fucking hilariously batshit insane.
Highlights:
Tails is set up to be the "chosen one" of some kind for an event that is yet to be revealed. Five years later they realized they forgot to resolve that plotline, so they have this B PLOT CLIMAX FOR ALL THE BUILDUP by having every Tails from the multiverse turn into, no shit, "Titan Tails" complete with fridgemode muscle build who then laser eyes the big bad to death in a panel.
This guy Ken Penders in the late 90s fucking loved Knuckles so much he basically made a whole complicated society and history for echidnas and littered the canon with tons of terrible Knuckles OCs who the writing team of the following generation couldn't do anything with. Then in the 2010s when this one writer finally figured out how to fit all these Knuckles into the story, Ken Penders re enters the picture and sues Archie for the rights to his OCs, which Sega demands Archie cede without defending themselves in court because that's too much greenbacks. So in order to resolve this plot line, Knuckles loses his entire family and his love interest because a big Purple dude pushes them into a magic hole. Literally pushes them. Like Archie was visually symbolizing offloading product onto a truck.
One time Sonic supposedly died but just got sent into space for a bit and he met the aliens from the Eiffel 65 I'm Blue music video, who had been harboring Tails' parents for some reason. Also they were criminals of the space state.
Dr. Robotnik makes a SNOOPING AS USUAL reference in one issue.
Charmy the Bee literally becomes retarded and his girlfriend turns into his tard wrangler.
Oh and Vector the Crocodile is supposed to be black. He speaks in outdated ebonics and I think one time says he likes fat asses but I don't remember.
Pic related is what Penders did with all his OCs after the suit, by the way.
Attachments
PENDERS.jpg
PENDERS.jpg (74.29KiB)Viewed 3926 times
peng

Re: THE COMIC BOOK THAT ONLY YOU READ

Post by peng » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:51 pm

i read sonic arhie as a kid too but dipped out around #30
it's definitely weird to look at how crazy the writing got but its really an accurate reflection of the sonic fandom so no real harm has been done to the franchise
Kobold

Post by Kobold » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Pretty much any rocket raccoon comic after Skotty Young's run. I havent talked to anyone who has read any of them and they'd only run for like 6 issues before getting canned.
The world is a dumpster
Standby for the trash fire
https://coolposs.neocities.org/
DevilDoa

Post by DevilDoa » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:24 am

IN DEFENSE OF INUYASHA

Inuyasha is the only manga/comic book(?) I've read MULTIPLE times, start to finish. Was the anime shit? Yes. Did I love the anime as a 13 year-old boy with no friends and a chronic masturbation situation going on? Yes. But this isn't about that bucket of Sunrise garbage. This is about the greatest* manga of all time.

Inuyasha is a constantly changing, chaotic fever dream that could only be manifested into reality by a lunatic Japanese woman who used to eat soy sauce packets, Rumiko Takahashi. The story starts out with Kagome, who is immediately introduced as a cunt. But a FUNNY, dumb cunt. This part of her personality was lost in the anime adaptation from what I recall. She then meets Inuyasha, who acts black. He calls her "Bitch" as a pronoun.

Throughout the series the Ross and Rachel of Japan meet a shit load of traveling companions almost immediately. Before you know it, there's more characters in the goddamn story than the plot can carry. In fact, the story starts off relatively milktoast and then, out of nowhere, you get the most brutal action/horror scenes that I'd ever seen at that time. Seriously fucking weird and grotesque yokai (demons) come out of nowhere and viciously murder entire villages. In every chapter.

But the real star of the show here is the main villain, NARAKU. King Douche himself. Naraku, in my opinion, is the greatest villain of all time. He's a scheming, cowardly, shit-talking, sadistic, manipulative mastermind who ROYALLY FUCKS EVERYONE OVER. Nothing Naraku does is necessary AT ALL for him to achieve his goals. He's just a dick. For the entire series, this guy is ruining lives for no reason whatsoever.

In a flashback, he told Kikyo's loli sister, Kaede, that he wanted to rape Kikyo. He was paralyzed, so it wasn't gonna happen, but still pretty fucked up to tell a child.

About halfway through the series, you start to get the hint that this story should have ended by now but Rumiko Takahashi, fueled by her ever-increasing and uncontrollable soy sauce addiction, continues to throw these characters into one clusterfuck after another. Much of it involving demons who want to eat Kagome and steal the Shikkon Shard.

But that's not all there is to Inuyasha. It's also COMFY AS FUCK. To this day, I still can't understand how a series that's mostly about cutting demons in half with forged japanese demon steel still has a childlike charm to it. The characters are FUN. You like them. You ship them. Even the bad guys get shipped. The fanart is oddly tasteful (this was before westerners found out about tentacles). And you enjoy following these unintelligent characters throughout every twist and turn and plothole they find themselves in.

And every so often, when Takahashi is coming down from her sodium binge, she throws in the cutest sweetie pie of all time, Rin. (Who was originally viciously torn apart by wolves because "fuck you I'm high on soy sauce")

So what is the Inuyasha Defense?
It has EVERYTHING.

- Action
- Drama
- Comedy
- Horror
- Romance
- Fan service
- And, of course, sweetie pies. (pic related)
SpaceLions

Post by SpaceLions » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:45 am

DevilDoa wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:24 am
IN DEFENSE OF INUYASHA

Inuyasha is the only manga/comic book(?) I've read MULTIPLE times, start to finish. Was the anime shit? Yes. Did I love the anime as a 13 year-old boy with no friends and a chronic masturbation situation going on? Yes. But this isn't about that bucket of Sunrise garbage. This is about the greatest* manga of all time.

Inuyasha is a constantly changing, chaotic fever dream that could only be manifested into reality by a lunatic Japanese woman who used to eat soy sauce packets, Rumiko Takahashi. The story starts out with Kagome, who is immediately introduced as a cunt. But a FUNNY, dumb cunt. This part of her personality was lost in the anime adaptation from what I recall. She then meets Inuyasha, who acts black. He calls her "Bitch" as a pronoun.

Throughout the series the Ross and Rachel of Japan meet a shit load of traveling companions almost immediately. Before you know it, there's more characters in the goddamn story than the plot can carry. In fact, the story starts off relatively milktoast and then, out of nowhere, you get the most brutal action/horror scenes that I'd ever seen at that time. Seriously fucking weird and grotesque yokai (demons) come out of nowhere and viciously murder entire villages. In every chapter.

But the real star of the show here is the main villain, NARAKU. King Douche himself. Naraku, in my opinion, is the greatest villain of all time. He's a scheming, cowardly, shit-talking, sadistic, manipulative mastermind who ROYALLY FUCKS EVERYONE OVER. Nothing Naraku does is necessary AT ALL for him to achieve his goals. He's just a dick. For the entire series, this guy is ruining lives for no reason whatsoever.

In a flashback, he told Kikyo's loli sister, Kaede, that he wanted to rape Kikyo. He was paralyzed, so it wasn't gonna happen, but still pretty fucked up to tell a child.

About halfway through the series, you start to get the hint that this story should have ended by now but Rumiko Takahashi, fueled by her ever-increasing and uncontrollable soy sauce addiction, continues to throw these characters into one clusterfuck after another. Much of it involving demons who want to eat Kagome and steal the Shikkon Shard.

But that's not all there is to Inuyasha. It's also COMFY AS FUCK. To this day, I still can't understand how a series that's mostly about cutting demons in half with forged japanese demon steel still has a childlike charm to it. The characters are FUN. You like them. You ship them. Even the bad guys get shipped. The fanart is oddly tasteful (this was before westerners found out about tentacles). And you enjoy following these unintelligent characters throughout every twist and turn and plothole they find themselves in.

And every so often, when Takahashi is coming down from her sodium binge, she throws in the cutest sweetie pie of all time, Rin. (Who was originally viciously torn apart by wolves because "fuck you I'm high on soy sauce")

So what is the Inuyasha Defense?
It has EVERYTHING.

- Action
- Drama
- Comedy
- Horror
- Romance
- Fan service
- And, of course, sweetie pies. (pic related)
I've interacted with this series twice.
The first was when I was in fifth grade and there was this really cute girl I liked who talked about Sly Cooper games with me all the time, and she let me borrow one of the random volumes. She built it up as this cool action thing with demons and shit, and then yeah, it was gory and fucked up and I was legit disturbed. She moved away shortly after that and I wonder how fucked in the head she is now.
Then decades later I watched the anime with my most recent ex-girlfriend. And honestly even though the show was just straight up bad and we were right off the heels of powerhouse Yu Yu Hakusho we still had a good time. Also it coined a great inside joke for us, "My Longest Baka Ever"
peng

Post by peng » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:47 am

rumiko is a goddess of manga and even if a bunch of fat american fujoshi "ruined" inuyasha by being too into the anime nothing they can do can take away the majesty and beauty of Lum and Ranma
yoku

Post by yoku » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Lum is OG QT
UniversalWorldBaby

Post by UniversalWorldBaby » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:48 am

https://garfieldminusgarfield.net/
I'm a sucker for dark humor, so I found this all incredibly funny when all my friends thought it was incredibly dumb.
It's pretty self explanatory, and I'd love to see this done with other comics someday...
Gewehr98

Post by Gewehr98 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Isn't a comic book series per se but when I was a kid the municipal library had a copy of this fuckin thing on the kids shelf of the comics section. The art style is crazy cool and it looks like if Korn directed the two matrix sequels. Good read, can't seem to find it in full anywhere online and I'm not sure how well known it is but if you can, get your hands on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_7
Attachments
71l1BSH21BL.jpg
71l1BSH21BL.jpg (170.82KiB)Viewed 3812 times
82458789.jpg
82458789.jpg (360.61KiB)Viewed 3812 times
Singularity 7 virtual god.jpg
Singularity 7 virtual god.jpg (451.66KiB)Viewed 3812 times
hitagi

Post by hitagi » Wed May 01, 2019 3:49 am

Gewehr98 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm
Isn't a comic book series per se but when I was a kid the municipal library had a copy of this fuckin thing on the kids shelf of the comics section. The art style is crazy cool and it looks like if Korn directed the two matrix sequels. Good read, can't seem to find it in full anywhere online and I'm not sure how well known it is but if you can, get your hands on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_7
damn this looks epic sick i need to read this
ImageImageImage